<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, January 02, 2004

New Years Eve. Disused Warehouse. 3 a.m. 

My last evening in London was not expected to go with a bang, despite it being New Years Eve. A quiet evening with friends was all I expected, or wanted for that matter.

Instead, after starting the night off in South Kensington, we took in a tour of the city via a number of friend's pads and ended up at Hoxton, trying to find a club, as I vaguely recall (it was about 3 am by this time).

We couldn't find the place, so, wondering what else to get up to at this late hour, we turned the corner and stumbled across an extremely dodgy warehouse party going on. Of course, we jumped right in! At £3 a pop, how can you go wrong?

Personally, I thought warehouse raves went out in the early 90's. Perhaps this was a post-modern re-enactment, a recontextualisation even!? More likely the police realised they had better things to do fishing drunk tourists out of the fountains in Trafalgar Square.

So my buddy and I spent the better part of 3 hours taking as much hardcore techno, drum and base - and whatever else they've managed to come up with since the last time I listened to this stuff - as we could. And we felt young again!! (No, It wasn't the chemically induced kind of feeling either).

Mind you, we also felt a little itchy, being surrounded by hippies and rave monkeys who looked like they'd just hiked in from the nearest forrest. So we got out of the place, all five floors of underground heaviness, and hit Brick Lane for a cracking Salt Beef Bagel, dripping with grease!

That was my new year's and I loved it! London still has some tricks up its sleeves!

But after a week of London madness, I was ready for Cambridge once more and last night, I arrived back and was glad for it.


____________
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?