<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, December 01, 2003

A Weekend for the Young 

Decadent weekends are good for the soul. They might not get you into Heaven, but Hell is starting to sound kinda fun.

Let's see what I remember...

Friday was the usual formal hall, which managed to descend into a party a bunch of us Magdaleners gatecrashed at a St Johns mansion somewhere on the outskirts of town, on the verge of a forrest. But even with our gowns it was less Harry Potter and more Cambridge Witch Project!

We soon got tired of the St Johns lot. We raided one of their bookshelves, where I discovered 'The Countess of Pembroke's 'Arcadia' '.
"Have you read it?" came the polite question from the book owner, a delicate young Johns girl, (probably from the country).
"No, but it sounds bloody weird!!" I snorted.
Oh dear, you can take the boy out of the City, but you can't take the City out of the boy.

One of us, an American, caused a ruckus with a Johns girl in the kitchen and we were chased from the mansion. I think they started shooting, not sure. We began singing what's becoming a favorite Magdalene number, (to the tune of 'She'll be coming round the mountain when she comes'):

"Oh I'd rather be at Oxford than St Johns,
Oh I'd rather be at Oxford than St Johns ...etc etc"

We ended up partying back at ours until 7. I haven't slept so late for a long, long time. Kerouac would be proud!

Saturday...
All I could do all day was work on my entry for the 50K competition. It was the only thing that even remotely motivated me.

Sunday...
Played football against Wolfson college. Lost 10-0. You read right. It was devastating. I had a good game though!


____________
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?