<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, September 17, 2003

The Free Lunch 

Well, well, well. So Cambridge decided to let me. Standards must be slipping!

Just kidding.

I finally got my gear together and cruised up to Cambridge from London today. Destination: Magdalene College. Mission: sort my life out before the start of the MBA pre-course, which is a few days away.

My first task - getting into my room - has not been easy. There are all sorts of problems with locks and keys that can't be sorted out until tomorrow, so I'm in a guest room until then. And my little Golf GTi (with which I earlier shattered the studied peace of Magdalene) is tucked away in a private car park for the night.

Not all bad. To make up for the inconvenience, the Domus Bursur gave me a free lunch in the College canteen. Of course I heaped it on, trying to claw back some of the cost of the MBA! The heapage however did not go unnoticed :/ Even years of refined London dining doesn't prepare one for Cambridge etiquette...

At least I got to buy my bike, which at 5:35 pm was quite an achievement (everything closes here at 5:30!). Tried negotiating but drew a blank. So much for my supposed 'business' skills. An old 3-speed. Dusty red and black seat. Oh dear, I think I'm officially 'Cambridge' now!

Looking forward to meeting a few of the MBA lot tomorrow in The Anchor pub. I have to rate Glenn Tsai for getting here so early and organising the pre-course get-togethers. Good man.

Initial impressions: not quite shock and awe (I've been here a couple of times recently), but certainly inspiring.

Currently listening to: White Stripes 'Fell in Love with a Girl' in the local Internet Exchange. Nice. With tunes like that I'm gonna like this place :)

Finally, a mention for Martin Lloyd, just recently completed his MBA at Oxford SBS. He is the inspiration for this blog. Check out his archives if you can - a wealth of well written material.


____________
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?