<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, September 26, 2003

And How is Sir? 

Sometimes it seems like I've stepped back in time to a bygone Dickensian era. Colleges in Cambridge tend to have what are known as Porter's Lodge's. These are very important places, especially when you first start. Basically they are like the reception of a hotel, coupled with an academic secretary, registrar, local encyclopedia etc etc.

My porters at Magdalene are a rum old bunch. The can be heard actually hooting at lunchtime as they stagger into the food Hall. Whenever I visit the Lodge I am always greeted with a "'allo sir. 'ow are we sir? And wot can I do for sir?'" It must be exciting for posh kids; I expect it's their first experience of the 'other half'. But for someone straight outta the mean streets of East London, only to be met with a bunch of cockney wiseguys, it's all a bit dissappointing really. I would have preferred more along the lines of the classic Jeeves.

Going to try punting tomorrow and then perhaps football on Sunday (yep, Judge is putting together a team to firstly try and beat last years class - returning for their graduation - and secondly any other MBAs who fancy their chances).More excercise than I've done all year!


____________
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?